Sunday 6 October 2013

Story Telling Sunday.....from Russia with Love

This month Sian asked to perhaps think of something precious with a bit of mystery to it.......so....when I was a child we lived next door to an elderly lady who spoke with a strong accent......my parents said she was a White Russian.....I had no idea what that was at the time.
Inside her house was very different to ours......stuffed full of ornaments and little bits and pieces....and wooden boxes.
I loved the boxes.....all beautifully carved and painted....and full of little treasures.
When I was a teenager the lady died....she had no known relatives......and left all her worldly possessions to charities....but she had made my dad her executor.....and said we could choose one item each to remember her by....that was easy for me.
I chose a beautiful carved box.......and kept my own precious little items in it
I love this box......I have no idea of its history......or even the history of the lady who fled the Russian Revolution nearly one hundred years ago......but I do know it came from Russia with love.
Read lots more stories here.

23 comments:

Jane said...

what a gorgeous box and a lovely gift to remember her by

debs14 said...

An amazing story, Jackie. What a beautiful box. I wonder what her background was?

Jen said...

Oh my what a wonderful treasure box - it's beautiful and a fantastic story. Jen x

Missus Wookie said...

Oh that is a gorgeous box Jackie - so nice that you got to keep your own treasurers in it.

Sian said...

Ooh Jacky, I love this! With Anastasia on my mind already this week, this is a perfect mystery object to get the imagination going. It's a beautiful box..truly a treasure for keeping treasure in. Thanks for letting us have a look.

Kathyk said...

Fab story, gr8 box - quite see why you picked it.

Happy Sunday

Kathyk

Sandra said...

That's beautiful and more so that although she had no family, she still lives in your memory, how lovely

Becky said...

How wonderful and what stories it might be able to tell.

Sheena said...

A great choice Jacky & a lovely way to remember her xxx

Helen Philipps said...

A fascinating story, and such a lovely box. How nice that you had this gift to remember her by.
Helen x

Lou said...

Oh I love this jacky how fantastic to have such a lovely item x

Melissa said...

What a beautiful carved box! It's been so fun to read the stories this month and see a variety of boxes among the precious items.

Jo said...

Such a lovely story and that box is gorgeous x

Alison said...

What a pretty box ....I wonder how your neighbour came to be your neighbour?!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

What an interesting neighbour and what a beautiful box.

Karen said...

A beautiful story and a beautiful box! What a special keepsake.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful looking box. Boy if only it could talk what stories it might tell.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Beautiful! And a perfect story for today.
Rinda

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh gosh, I'm a big fan of pretty boxes too, Jacky, and I love this one you shared today. I work with a Russian woman with a very strong accent and she is so lovely. :o)

Lisa-Jane said...

Its a beautiful accent but do you know that I have had just had to look up what a white Russian is, so thank you for that! Its a beautiful box and I love the story that goes with it.

Cheri said...

what a cool box! Have to tried to google for similar images to see if you could find out a history?

Ruth said...

What a precious item to have in your possession!

alexa said...

I am sure your lovely neighbour would be thrilled that you had kept this lovely box all this time, and that it has been so meaningful for you. Not to mention that people around the world have seen it now too! A heart warming story ...